It is no secret that Social Media is here to stay. Many SMB’s are harnessing the power of this great marketing tool, by creating truly engaging and value added campaigns for their audience. Those who are truly savvy understand that it is not only a marketing tool, but also a customer service tool. A solid customer service strategy can truly engage customers for the long term and social media is a place where you can really WOW them, but how?
- Listen – This seems obvious, right? But with so many social media channels it can be hard to stay up to date on what is being said and where. Especially if you run a business that has a high volume of customers like a restaurant or a medical office. So what gives? How do you keep up?
–Set up Social Listening Tools – there is no shortage of software out there to help track what is being said about your brand. Google “social listening tools” and find one that is right for you.
–Check your pages frequently and consistently. Have a routine! Even though you have a business to run or manage, this is important. Set expectations with your audience and even post them on the page. (something along the lines of “this page is not monitored 24/7 please allow up to 48 hours for responses”)
- Communicate Effectively – Make sure that when you are putting something out there you understand it is FINAL! There are too many examples of businesses sticking their foot in their mouth in this arena. Think first then post, and leave emotion out of it.
- Ask – and ask a lot! How are we doing? We would love your feedback on x, y, and z sites to let us know how we are doing because we are constantly trying to improve. Online reviews are only becoming more and more relevant, so try and steer that feedback to the channels where you want it!
- Choose Wisely – Too many times I have seen websites with links to every social media site that has ever existed. This works for large brands and helps with SEO efforts, but the SMB does not have the time or the resources to effectively manage all of these. Pick 1-2 that make sense for your market and get good at them!
- Give Them What They Want – Remember people follow your business on social media for a reason. Either they support your cause, want to know about deals, want information on your industry, or some other reason. I assure you it is not because they want a constant stream of ADS. That being said, get in line with your audience and understand what they want and why they are following you. Ultimately the best customer service is making sure that you are giving the customer what they desire, right?
These tips will help to get you started with a focus on customer service in the Social Media arena. Remember do not try and tackle everything yourself! Social Media Management and Marketing can be a daunting task for the novice, so try and delegate some tasks or seek out a professional to help you. It can be time consuming and the less you know the more time consuming it is.